Antelope Valley almanac

first_img 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! POPULATION: Antelope Valley: 405,000 Lancaster: 133,700 Palmdale: 136,700 California City: 11,500 ETHNIC BREAKDOWN Ethnic breakdown totals can exceed 100 percent due to a recent change allowing people to check more than one ethnic category. (2005 Census Data) White/non-Hispanic: 50.2% Hispanic/Latino: 30.4% African-American: 12.9% Other: 6.5% WEATHER: Avg. annual rainfall: 7.8 inches; Avg. high temperature: summer 94, winter 62; Avg. low temperature: summer 63, winter 36 LOCAL GOVERNMENT: Type: Council/manager City Hall location(s): Palmdale, 38300 Sierra Highway, Palmdale 93550. (661) 267-5100. Lancaster, 44933 N. Fern Ave., Lancaster 93534. (661) 723-6000. California City, 21000 Hacienda Blvd., California City 93505. (760) 373-8661. City Web sites: Palmdale: www.cityofpalmdale.org Lancaster: www.cityoflancasterca.org. OFFICIALS Lancaster: Mayor Henry Hearns, Vice Mayor Ed Sileo, City Council members Jim Jeffra, Ronald Smith and Andy Visokey. Palmdale: Mayor Jim Ledford, City Council members Mike Dispenza, Steven Hofbauer, Stephen Knight and Tom Lackey. California City: Mayor David Evans, Vice Mayor Nicholas Lessenevitch, City Council members Mike Edmiston, Kevin Schafer and Cathy Strong. City Clerk Denise Hilliker. Los Angeles County Supervisor Michael D. Antonovich, 1113 W. Ave. M-4, Suite A, Palmdale 93551. (661) 726-3600. Kern County Supervisor Don Maben, 1775 Highway 58, Mojave. (661) 824-7000. COURTHOUSES: Michael D. Antonovich Antelope Valley Courthouse, 42011 4th St. W., Lancaster. Lancaster Juvenile Dependency Court, 1040 W. Ave. J, Lancaster. Mojave Municipal Court, 1773 Highway 58, Mojave. (661) 824-7100. ANIMAL SHELTERS: 5210 W. Ave. I, Lancaster. (661) 940-4191. 5000 Lindbergh Ave., California City. (760) 373-1115. TRANSIT: Bus service: Antelope Valley Transportation Authority, (661) 945-9445; Randy Floyd, executive director. SENIOR/DISABLED SERVICES: Palmdale Senior Center, 1002 E. Ave. Q-12, Palmdale. (661) 267-5551. Antelope Valley Senior Center, 777 W. Jackman St., Lancaster. (661) 726-4400. AIRPORTS: Palmdale Regional Airport (no commercial services at present; uses Air Force Plant 42 runway) 39516 25th Ave. E., Palmdale. (661) 266-7602. California City Municipal Airport, 22636 Airport Way, California City. Mojave Airport, 1434 Flight Line, Mojave, (661) 824-2433. Gen. William J. Fox Airfield, 4555 W. Ave. G, Lancaster, (661) 940-1709. Crystalaire Airport, 32810 165th St. E., Llano, (661) 944-1234. UTILITIES: Water: Major water districts include Palmdale Water District, 2029 E. Ave. Q, Palmdale, (661) 947-4111; Los Angeles County Waterworks District North County field office, 260 E. Ave. K-8, Lancaster, (661) 942-1157; Littlerock Creek Irrigation District, 35141 87th St. E., Littlerock, (661) 944-2015; Quartz Hill Water District, 42141 50th St. W., Quartz Hill, (661) 943-3170; Palm Ranch Irrigation District, 42116 50th St. W., Quartz Hill, (661) 943-2469; Rosemond Community Service District, 3179 35th St. W., Rosemond, (661) 256-3411; Antelope Valley East Kern Water Agency, 6500 W. Ave. N, Palmdale, (661) 943-3201; North Edwards Water District, 13001 Claymine Road, North Edwards, (760) 769-4520; Mojave Public Utilities District, 15844 K St., Mojave, (661) 824-4161. Power: Southern California Edison Co., (800) 655-4555. Gas: Southern California Gas Co./Sempra Energy, (800) 427-2200. Telephone: Verizon (Lancaster and East Kern area), (800) 483-4400, SBC (Palmdale area), (800) 310-2355. Cable TV: Adelphia, (888) 683-1000. Charter Communications, (866) 499-8080. Trash: Waste Management of Antelope Valley, (661) 947-7197. LAW ENFORCEMENT/EMERGENCY: Sheriff: Lancaster sheriff’s station 501 W. Lancaster Blvd., Lancaster, (661) 948-8466. Palmdale sheriff’s station, 750 E. Ave. Q, Palmdale, (661) 272-2400. Kern County sheriff’s station in Rosamond, 1379 Sierra Highway, (661) 256-9700. Kern County sheriff’s station in Mojave, 1771 Highway 58, (661) 824-7130. Police: 21130 Hacienda Blvd., California City, (760) 373-8606. Emergency: 911 Fire: Los Angeles County Fire Department, (323) 881-2411. Kern County Fire Department, (661) 324-6551. California City Fire Department, 20890 Hacienda Blvd., California City 93505, (760) 373-4841. Ambulance: American Medical Response, (661) 947-2173; Antelope Ambulance Service, (661) 951-1998.last_img read more

Lukaku ends big game doubters to outshine Morata

first_imgHowever, he has now scored 22 times in all competitions since completing a £75 million move from Everton in July.“It’s not bad, but you can always improve,” said Lukaku of his return so far.“I want to do better for the team. At the end of the day, I’m at Manchester United and I want to win trophies. That’s the most important thing.”United manager Jose Mourinho was effusive of his praise for Lukaku, as his personal performance mirrored the hosts’ overall display after a fast start by Chelsea.The visitors deservedly lead through Willian’s strike just before the half hour mark as once again United failed to get the best out of Alexis Sanchez and Paul Pogba in a new four-man diamond midfield.But Lukaku got his break six minutes before half-time when he slotted home Anthony Martial’s pass.He nearly had a spectacular second when his overhead kick was turned over by Thibaut Courtois midway through the second period.But Courtois was helpless when Lukaku showed his abilities outside the box to cross for Lingard to head home.“I think he played fantastically well,” said Mourinho. “He was little bit lost but then he went together with the team.“The team was improving, improving, improving…he ended the game with the image of a hand in the goal.”– Morata misses out –But for a late change of course from United in the summer, Lukaku and Chelsea striker Alvaro Morata could have been lining up for opposite sides on Sunday.The Spaniard was high on Mourinho’s wish list before United eventually decided on moving for Lukaku to pave the way for Morata to move to Stamford Bridge from Real Madrid for a club record fee just a week later.Morata scored the only goal when the sides last met in November, but is now without a goal in two months as a lack of fitness and form has derailed his first season in England.“Like the other players, he tried to put everything on the pitch,” said Chelsea manager Antonio Conte. “For sure he can improve. He can improve a lot.”Morata’s best chance came after just four minutes when he turned Marcos Alonso’s low cross against the crossbar.He also had the ball in the net five minutes from time, but had already been flagged for a debatable offside decision that saw Conte intensify his calls for video assistant refereeing (VAR) to be introduced to the Premier League.“This type of situations can change the final result,” said the Italian.“For this reason I am very positive to introduce VAR, especially in England.“We have to have this system to help the referees avoid this big mistake.”However, Conte defended the decision to give Morata the full 90 minutes on his first start for six weeks and instead replace Eden Hazard 17 minutes from time.“Hazard was a tactical decision,” added Conte.“You have to keep the same performance for 90 minutes. We didn’t have a great balance and every single player has to work with and without the ball, otherwise we lose our balance and lose the game.”0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Manchester United’s Belgian striker Romelu Lukaku has now scored 22 times in all competitions since completing a £75 million move from Everton in July © AFP / Oli SCARFFMANCHESTER, United Kingdom, Feb 26 – Romelu Lukaku quietened questions over his ability to deliver against the best opposition by scoring and setting up the winner for Jesse Lingard as Manchester United came from behind to beat Chelsea 2-1 on Sunday.Lukaku hadn’t netted in any of his six previous matches against top six Premier League opponents for United leading to suggestions the Belgian was a flat track bully.last_img read more

Arsenal injury blow: Wenger uncertain when star will return

first_img Arsenal midfielder Jack Wilshere lays stricken Arsene Wenger is still unsure when Jack Wilshere will return from injury, but has confirmed he will miss England’s internationals against Lithuania and Italy at the end of this month.The midfielder made a brief return to the Arsenal squad in February but was forced to undergo further surgery to his ankle.Wilshere will be missing once again for the Premier League game against West Ham on Saturday and the Arsenal manager cannot put a date on when the influential midfielder will make a return to first-team action.“I don’t know how long it will be before he returns because we have to respect the progression of his training,” Wenger said.“It’s very difficult to give you a day today. It’s taken a bit longer and I don’t really no why at the moment.“He had a little inflammation of his ankle, so we decided to do it [go ahead with surgery]. We had to rest him anyway, so we decided to get these screws off instead of doing it at the end of the season.”Wenger had better news regarding club captain Mikel Arteta. The Spaniard is now back in full training and is set to return to the squad in three weeks.The Arsenal manager is also hopeful that the club can agree a new contract with the former Everton midfielder.He added: “I would like him to stay on, yes. He has a huge experience and is very important in the squad.” 1last_img read more

Premier League Preview Show – including Man Utd v West Ham

first_imgThe former Premier League striker, and current first team coach at Charlton Athletic, Jason Euell joins Tom Rennie on the Preview Show this week.Topics up for discussion;Are Aston Villa & Newcastle United doomed already? The Villains are bottom of the league with just 5 points, while the Magpies were thrashed 5-1 by their former boss Alan Pardew last weekend.We are also talking a wide open title race – with Man City, Man Utd, Leicester & Arsenal all in action on Saturday.Who from the chasing pack has a chance? Tottenham? Everton? Liverpool?Also on the show; talkSPORT’s lead Arabic commentator Michel Saad plays the predictor game ‘Tom against the World’. Currently, the first match of the weekend is available in Arabic from the Premier League on talkSPORT.com.last_img read more

Around Whittier

first_imgwelcomes holidays LA MIRADA – Phantom Projects will present “Antiguas y Nuevas,” a special performance celebrating Mexico’s traditions of folklorico dancing, Posada processions, mariachis, singers and colorful, traditional, hand-made costumes, at 7 p.m. Saturday at the La Mirada Theatre for Fine Arts. Tickets at $25 and $35 are available by calling the La Mirada Theatre Box Office at (562) 944 9801 or (714) 994 6310, or by going online to PhantomProjects.com. Paso de Oro Dance Company under the direction of Alicia de Mendibles-Vaca has performed throughout the country. Night of music to benefit children PICO RIVERA – St. Hilary Catholic Church, 5465 S. Citronell Ave., is hosting “A Good Time for a Good Cause” 6 to 10 p.m. today. The evening includes music by The Highlanders, playing the best of the ’80s. DJs will also be spinning music for dancing. The cost for the night is $5 with tacos for $1 and funnel cakes for $4. Drinks will also be available. All proceeds will benefit a Christmas party for Five Acres, an orphanage/child abuse center. To give donations or get information, call (562) 457-7568. Winter wonderland hits Montebello MONTEBELLO – Enjoy a winter wonderland 1 to 4 p.m. Saturday at Montebello City Park, 1300 W. Whittier Blvd. The free event will include a snow slide and train rides for the entire family. Participate in a Christmas tree raffle. For every new toy you donate, you will receive a raffle ticket. You can also purchase a ticket for $2. All toys will be distributed to local children through the Montebello Fire Department’s Spark of Love program. Admission is free. Holiday snacks will be available. For more information, call (323) 887-1373. – From staff reports 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWhicker: Clemson demonstrates that it’s tough to knock out the champThe charges stem from the Oct. 1 assault on Lorenzo Martinez in the 11900 block of Valley View Avenue in Whittier. Jesus Martinez allegedly punched the child in the stomach once but originally told investigators he had accidentally dropped the baby while reaching for another child who pulled away, according to Sgt. Steve Katz of the sheriff’s Homicide Bureau. Katz said Lorenzo Martinez’s stomach swelled afterward and he was later found not breathing. He was revived at a hospital and transferred to Children’s Hospital of Orange County. The child was pronounced dead Oct. 3 at Children’s Hospital after surgery to repair a tear in his stomach. Phantom Projects WHITTIER – A man accused of killing his 8-month-old son will be back in court next month. Jesus Martinez, 29, appeared in Whittier Superior Court on Thursday for a scheduled hearing. His defense attorney, Arthur LaCilento, asked that the matter be continued because he hasn’t received certain documents such as the coroner’s report. Martinez will return to court Jan. 29 to set a date for his preliminary hearing. He was being held at Men’s Central Jail in Los Angeles in lieu of $1million bail. Prosecutors have charged Martinez with one count of assault on a child causing death and one count of murder. last_img read more

Santa Clarita Calendar

first_img WEDNESDAY Free health lecture on “Heart Disease: An Update,” 1-2 p.m. at the SCV Senior Center, 22900 Market St., Newhall. Call (661) 259-9444. Smarter Senior Forum will teach seniors to protect their financial assets, 1:45-2:45 p.m. at the SCV Senior Center, 22900 Market St., Newhall. Admission is free. Call (213) 974-9778. Santa Clarita Sunrise Rotary Club will meet, 7:10 a.m. at IHOP, 24737 W. Pico Canyon Road, Stevenson Ranch. Call (661) 250-1023. Santa Clarita Valley Rotary Club will meet, 12:10 p.m. at Marie Callender’s, 27630 The Old Road, Valencia. Call (661) 259-7701. Santa Clarita Valley-Newhall Optimist Club will meet, 7 p.m. at La Rumba, 27600 Bouquet Canyon Road, Saugus. Call (661) 252-7313. Valencia Toastmasters will meet, 7 p.m. Call Kim Dickens at (661) 259-8567 or visit www.valenciatoastmasters.org for location. Special Olympics offers athletic training and competition for athletes with learning disabilities during the evenings at various locations in Santa Clarita. New athletes or volunteer coaches can call (661) 253-2121. Santa Clarita Noon Kiwanis Club will meet, noon-1:30 p.m. at El Torito, 27510 The Old Road, Valencia. Call Janie Choate at (661) 296-8260. Youth Chess Club will meet, 5:30-8 p.m. at 25864-G Tournament Road, Valencia. Call Jay Stallings at (661) 288-1705. Evening Kiwanis Club will meet, 6:15 p.m. at Mulligan’s, 25848 Tournament Road, Valencia. Call Amy Spencer at (661) 255-6714. Santa Clarita Runners Club will meet for tempo runs, 6:15 p.m. Call (661) 294-0821 or visit www.scrunners.org for location. THURSDAY Environmental seminar, titled “Saving Money by Saving Water,” 11 a.m.-1 p.m. at the Chamber of Commerce, 28460 Avenue Stanford, Suite 100, Valencia. Call (661) 702-6977 to R.S.V.P. Free health lecture will discuss diagnosis and treatment of gastrointestinal ailments, noon-1 p.m. at the SCV Family YMCA, 26147 McBean Parkway, Valencia. Call (661) 253-3593. Henry Mayo Newhall Memorial Hospital Volunteer Recognition Luncheon, noon-2 p.m. at the Hyatt Valencia, 24500 Town Center Drive, Valencia. Call Maria Strmsek at (661) 253-8051. Free business workshop will teach “The Nuts & Bolts of Starting a Business,” 6-8 p.m. in the meeting room at the Valencia Library, 23743 W. Valencia Blvd., Valencia. Call (661) 259-8942. Le Tip Business Network Group will meet, 7 a.m. at Mimi’s Cafe, 24201 Magic Mountain Parkway, Valencia. Call Lisa Eichman at (661) 297-3333 or visit www.allvalleyletip.com. Nonaerobic workout in a heated pool for joint and muscle conditioning, 10:30 a.m. at the Santa Clarita Valley Family YMCA, 26147 McBean Parkway, Valencia. Call (661) 253-3593. FRIDAY Flame of Life dress sale will benefit the hospital, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. in Foundation Rooms 1 and 2 at Henry Mayo Newhall Memorial Hospital, 23871 McBean Parkway, Valencia. Call (661) 253-8082. Volunteer Recruitment Fair, 10 a.m.-noon in Foundation Rooms 4 and 5 at Henry Mayo Newhall Memorial Hospital, 23871 McBean Parkway, Valencia. Call (661) 253-8051. .160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! TUESDAY Home Tour League membership brunch and fashion show, 10:30 a.m. at a member’s home. Cost: $15. Call the Henry Mayo Newhall Memorial Hospital Foundation at (661) 253-8082. Talk & Tea with Ronda B. will discuss congestive heart failure, 10:30 a.m.-noon at Kaiser Permanente, 27107 Tourney Road, Valencia. Call Ronda Bestle at (661) 222-2405 to R.S.V.P. Santa Clarita Valley Macintosh Users Group will meet, 7 p.m. at Rogers Systems, 25030 W. Avenue Tibbetts, Valencia. Call (661) 250-4149. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREOregon Ducks football players get stuck on Disney ride during Rose Bowl eventLions Club-Castaic will meet, 7:15 p.m. at Marie Callender’s, 27630 The Old Road, Valencia. Call (661) 294-8677. Nonaerobic workout in a heated pool for joint and muscle conditioning, 10:30 a.m. at the Santa Clarita Valley Family YMCA, 26147 McBean Parkway, Valencia. Call (661) 253-3593. Santa Clarita Runners Club will work out, 6:15 p.m. at the College of the Canyons track, 26455 N. Rockwell Road, Valencia. Call (661) 294-0821 or visit www.scrunners.org. Sierra Hillbillies Square Dance Club will offer an intermediate class, 7-9 p.m. in Rooms A1 and 2 at the SCV Senior Center, 22900 Market St., Newhall. Call (661) 252-2210 or (661) 255-0463. Barbershop Harmony Singers will rehearse, 7:30-9:30 p.m. in the multipurpose room at Valley Oaks Village Apartments, 24700 Valley St., Newhall. Call (661) 259-6109 for security-door information. last_img read more

GARDAÍ FORCED TO ESCORT PEOPLE TO THEIR BUS AFTER TWO WOMEN ATTACKED THEM

first_imgA JUDGE has ordered probation reports on two women whose behaviour outside a Co Donegal nightclub forced Gardaí to escort their victims to a bus so they could escape the melee.Judge Paul Kelly made the order after hearing about an incident on the Ramelton Road in Letterkenny in the early hours of the Sunday before last, January 12.Inspector Goretti Sheridan told the local District Court that Gardaí were forced to arrest Anna and Sarah Doherty after the incident. Anna Doherty, who is 27 and from 3 Manor View Park in Letterkenny, was arrested at the scene and charged with using threatening and abusive behaviour and failing to comply with the direction of Gardaí.“Miss Doherty was pulling another female by the hair and at one Sgt Siobhan Mollahan had to escort a number of women away from the scene onto a bus for their own safety,” said the inspector.“Miss Doherty had had to be restrained. she was arrested and gave a false name and address and she continued to be aggressive towards Gardaí when she was in custody at Letterkenny Garda Station.Anna Doherty, the court heard, had previous convictions for a Section 2 assault; public order offences and drink driving.Judge Kelly asked her what she was doing on the night of her arrest.“I don’t remember very much,” she said.“I’m not surprised,” replied Judge Kelly, “You have a tendency to do these things when you take far too much drink. You obviously have a drink problem.”He adjourned the case until March 20 asking for a probation and community service report.“Thanks judge,” replied Ms Doherty.Inspector Sheridan said that the next case, of Sarah Doherty Glenmacquinn, Letterkenny, was linked to the same incident.The 26-year-old was charged with using threatening and abusive behaviour in a public place.Inspector Sheridan said she too had been seen fighting on the street outside Pulse nightclub and was seen pulling someone’s hair.Judge Kelly asked Sarah Doherty why she was involved in the row.“I don’t go out very often,” she replied.The judge asked for similar reports for her and adjourned her case to the same date.GARDAÍ FORCED TO ESCORT PEOPLE TO THEIR BUS AFTER TWO WOMEN ATTACKED THEM was last modified: January 24th, 2014 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Bale out of Wales’ friendly with Spain but could make Ireland clash

first_img Oxlade-Chamberlain suffers another setback as Klopp confirms serious injury 2 2 Where Ancelotti ranks with every Premier League boss for trophies won REVEALED REVEALED silverware But the Wales medical staff will continue to monitor his fitness and manager Ryan Giggs is hopeful he will be fit for the Nations League tie against the Republic of Ireland on Tuesday.“Gareth has got a little bit of muscle fatigue and he won’t be involved against Spain,” Giggs said.“We don’t want to take any risks and we are monitoring it every day.“I would say he is 50-50 at the minute for the Ireland game.” Bale in action for Wales in the last international break. Son ban confirmed as Tottenham fail with appeal to overturn red card ADVICE England’s most successful clubs of the past decade, according to trophies won Forbes list reveals how much Mayweather, Ronaldo and Messi earned this decade RANKED Gareth Bale has been ruled out of Wales’ friendly with Spain in Cardiff on Thursday.The Real Madrid start has been troubled by a groin injury in recent weeks and was substituted during their loss to Deportivo Alaves at the weekend. Every time Ally McCoist lost it on air in 2019, including funny XI reactions Ronaldo warned Lukaku how hard scoring goals in Serie A would be before Inter move “He had a scan last week, a couple of weeks ago with Real Madrid. We rescanned it and have done everything we can to get as much information. He feels good but we have to weigh up the risk whether he can be part of the game on Tuesday.“There was a little bit on both scans – but there’s always something. We’re treating the symptoms but it’s nothing to worry about. Either way, I expect him to be fit for Madrid’s next game.“I don’t think I was ever 100% playing. When you have niggly injuries it’s maybe at the back of your mind until you’re flying again, but I’m not worried and Gareth isn’t worried. Top nine Premier League free transfers of the decade huge blow REPLY Which teams do the best on Boxing Day in the Premier League era? BEST OF no dice Real Madrid star Gareth Bale’s career has been hampered by injuries. Berahino hits back at b******t Johnson criticism – ‘I was in a dark place at Stoke’ MONEY Latest Football News “It’s something of nothing but it’s a short turnaround and we’ll take no chances. But if he’s available he’s available. The medical team are constantly in dialogue with Madrid like they are with every team.“Playing in Spain he wants to be a part of it [the friendly] but first and foremost health comes first, we want a fit and raring to go Gareth Bale.”last_img read more

The most likely result in every Premier League game this weekend

first_img predicted Leicester City v BurnleyLeicester win – 57 per cent chance of happeningBurnley win – 18 per cent chance of happeningDraw – 25 per cent chance of happeningNewcastle United v BournemouthNewcastle win – 41 per cent chance of happeningBournemouth win – 31 per cent chance of happeningDraw – 28 per cent chance of happening 5 Did Mahrez just accidentally reveal Fernandinho is leaving Man City this summer? 5 Newcastle vs Bournemouth (3pm) – Live on talkSPORT 2Crystal Palace vs Tottenham (5:30pm) – Live on talkSPORT latest Once again, with City looking unstoppable and United hitting form, it could go either way and it’s going to be tough to offer a prediction. 5 Liverpool news live: Klopp reveals when Minamino will play and issues injury update The Manchester derby is likely to be a feisty affair but who will come out on top? The average first-team salaries at every Premier League club in 2019 Felipe Anderson was the star for West Ham against Burnley Boxing Day fixtures: All nine Premier League games live on talkSPORT 5 Southampton v WatfordSouthampton win – 42 per cent chance of happeningWatford win – 30 per cent chance of happeningDraw – 28 per cent chance of happeningCrystal Palace v Tottenham HotspurCrystal Palace win – 22 per cent chance of happeningTottenham win – 53 per cent chance of happeningDraw – 25 per cent chance of happening SORRY It’s a massive weekend of Premier League football on the talkSPORT network with another two live games, while Manchester United and Man City go head-to-head on Sunday in a huge derby clash.It’s a fixture which is notoriously unpredictable with the Red Devils beating their rivals at the end of last season to postpone the title celebrations of Pep Guardiola’s men. Sky Sports presenter apologises for remarks made during Neville’s racism discussion TOP WORK changes Live Premier League commentaries revealed Oxlade-Chamberlain suffers another setback as Klopp confirms serious injury How Everton could look in January under Ancelotti with new signings 5 Chelsea are on track to surpass Maurizio Sarri’s expectations for the season Guardiola-inspired tactics: Is this how Arsenal will line up under Arteta? Liverpool’s signings under Michael Edwards – will Minamino be the next big hit? huge blow Everyone has their own different ways of attempting to forecast the result and statistics are more often being used.One such producer of these is FiveThirtyEight but what outcomes do they think will happen? Find out below.*All figures are rounded and may not total 100 per cent tense gameday cracker Callum Wilson has been in fine form for high-flying Bournemouth this season whoops Most Popular Premier League News Tottenham Hotspur superstar Harry Kane celebrates scoring his second against PSV Eindhoven. Liverpool v FulhamLiverpool win – 86 per cent chance of happeningFulham win – Three per cent chance of happeningDraw – 10 per cent chance of happeningChelsea v EvertonChelsea win – 72 per cent chance of happeningEverton win – 10 per cent chance of happeningDraw – 19 per cent chance of happening Cardiff City v Brighton and Hove AlbionCardiff win – 44 per cent chance of happeningBrighton win – 28 per cent chance of happeningDraw – 28 per cent chance of happeningHuddersfield Town v West Ham UnitedHuddersfield win – 36 per cent chance of happeningWest Ham win – 33 per cent chance of happeningDraw – 31 per cent chance of happening Green reveals how he confronted Sarri after Chelsea’s 6-0 defeat at Man City Arsenal v Wolverhampton WanderersArsenal win – 67 per cent chance of happeningWolves win – 12 per cent chance of happeningDraw – 20 per cent chance of happeningManchester City v Manchester UnitedMan City win – 79 per cent chance of happeningMan United win – Seven per cent chance of happeningDraw – 14 per cent chance of happeninglast_img read more

LOCAL NEWS: RAPHOE COMMUNITY NOTES

first_imgAFTERSCHOOL PROGRAMME REGISTRATIONWith the impending re-opening of schools following the summer break, registration for the afterschool programme will take place on Thursday 30th August from 3-5pm and again on Tuesday 4th September from 3-5pm. Registration fee to cover insurance requirements is as follows- €5 per single child; €8 for two children and €10 for three or more. Please note there will be limited places. The afterschool programme will re-commence on Tuesday 11th September with 3rd & 4th Classes from 3-4pm followed by 5th & 6th Classes from 4-5pm. Wednesday 12th September-Junior & Senior Infants from 2-3pm; 1st & 2nd Classes from 3-4pm and Youth Café from 7-9pm; Thursday 13th September-Junior & Senior Infants from 2-3pm and 1st & 2nd Classes from 3-4pm. TRAINING FOR TRANSFORMATIONIn 1999 the Family Resource Centre (then Raphoe Youth & Community Project) brought the Training for Transformation Programme to Raphoe. At that time 20 community leaders/activists participated in the training over several months. Training for Transformation is built on the idea of building a “temporary learning community”, and by doing so, learning the tools of building a sense of community in our own places built on three distinct realities; that everyone feels a sense of being safe and accepted, that everyone feels they are important, significant and has a part to play, that everyone feels a common bond, a sense of solidarity.Training for Transformation is ideal for developing leadership capacity at grassroots level, creating and deepening a sense of community among diverse groups, particularly those with a history of conflict, and developing skills for community building by experience, a process that is inclusive, participative and built around fostering human relationships. Partners, the community education agency working in Ireland for over 25 years and who delivered the programme in Raphoe in 1999 is now keen to return to Raphoe and East Donegal to run the Programme again and are in the process of drafting an application to the Department of Foreign Affairs. To support that application Partners are keen to base the application on the needs of groups around East Donegal, and will visit the area shortly to hear first hand the needs of local organisations.In the meantime, if you are interested in participating in the training please contact Tony on 074 9145796.BORDER VILLAGES SOCIAL INTEGRATION PROJECT:Raphoe Family Resource Centre in conjunction with the Border Villages Social Integration Project is hosting a facilitated discussion at 7.30pm on Tuesday 11th September on the following themes: belonging, fitting in, identity, feeling welcome, feeling at home, being a ‘blow in’, creating a diverse community where all are welcome.If you are someone who has recently moved to or back to the Raphoe/Convoy areas then this discussion might be of interest to you. If you are a longstanding member of either community that people have moved in to and wish to help support the creation of a diverse community then please feel free to come along. The discussion should last for about two hours and will be facilitated by Owen Donnelly of the Peace and Reconciliation Group, Derry. Light refreshments will be available.The Border Villages Social Integration Project is supported by the European Union’s European Regional Development Fund through the EU Programme for Peace and Reconciliation managed for the Special EU Programme Body by Donegal Co. Council.FROM STORMONT TO LEINSTER HOUSE TO BRUSSELS! Following on from its trips to Stormont and Leinster House the Speaking Up Reaching Out Project for people with disabilities, facilitated by Raphoe Family Resource Centre and Mencap Western Area, the participants permission has been sought by Dr Pauline Conroy, independent policy analyst, to take photographic images to be used as a visual backdrop to a presentation she is making to the European Economic and Social Committee in Brussels. Her presentation, “Included or Excluded” to the Labour Market Observatory Conference to take place in November will address the labour market inclusion/exclusion of people with disabilities.Dr Conroy previously carried out an evaluation of the FRC’s “Making Choices Programme” for people with disabilities on behalf of the then Dept of Social & Family Affairs, an evaluation that recommended that the delivery mechanism of the programme be replicated by any other organization proposing to work with people with disabilities. Dr Conroy will visit the Speaking Up Reaching Out Group on Friday 7th September.The Speaking Up Reaching Out Project is by the European Union INTERREG IVA Programme managed by the Special EU Programme Body and delivered by Co-operation and Working Together (CAWT) Community Awareness Programme.ASIST REFRESHER The Family Resource Centre will be hosting a 3 hour refresher workshop for those who previously participated in Asist training within the past 18 –24 months.The workshop will be held on Thursday 4th October from 7–10pm. Tea/coffee available. To book a place please contact 074 9145796.SUPPORT GROUPA support group for parents or carers will be held in Raphoe Family Resource Centre at 7pm every second Tuesday starting on 11th September. This is an informal support group for parents or guardians of a child with delayed communication or learning skills.HEALTHY WALKS Following the success of our walking group on Thursday mornings, thanks to Joe Porter we are also starting walks on Thursday nights, meeting here in the Centre at 7.15pm. If anyone is interested in coming along, please do. Walks take place at 9.30am and at 7.15pm.ZUMBA CLASSESZumba classes will be held in Raphoe Family Resource Centre from 7pm- 8pm starting on Monday 10th September. Admission is only €5 per class and will run for 6 weeks. Everyone welcome!THANK YOUThe members of Raphoe Masonic Lodge wish to thank everyone who supported their recent table quiz. A total of 2,200 euro, in aid of the oncology unit in Letterkenny General Hospital was raised on the evening.RAPHOE CUB SCOUTSRaphoe Cub Scouts ages 9 to 11, registration night on Thursday 6th September from 7pm -8.30pm in the Presbyterian Church Hall Raphoe. Adult and child are both to attend for 20 minutes.BOXING CLUBThe Raphoe boxing club would like to extend a sincere thanks to Martin Laird, Raphoe Tidy Towns LTD. The DSP Community Employment Project and all the workers for all the excellent domestic cleaning and environmental duties carried out at the Raphoe clubhouse as it is greatly appreciated by all at the club.Training and coaching sessions are now back in full swing after the summer break and the club is open every Monday, Wednesday and Friday nights from 6pm to 8pm and all new members (male and female) are very welcome along.HARVEST FAIRBallintrillick Environmental Group are holding their annual Harvest Fair at the Benwiskin Centre, Ballintrillick, Co. Sligo on Sunday 2nd September 2012 from 2pm – 5pm. Stalls will include home baking; vegetables, herbs, cards, eggs, poultry, jewellery, wooden clocks, raw chocolates, creams/balms, spinning demo, handmade baskets, aerial images of local scenery, face painting etc. The Fair will bring together a wide range of local skills and interests. It promises to be a great day out for the whole family whilst supporting the local community. Hope to see you there.RUNNING GROUPThe new running group is continuing in Raphoe every Monday, meeting at the Royal and Prior school car park at 7 pm. This group is suitable for beginners and intermediate runners. Fee: €3 per person per session. For more information contact Gerard mc Granaghan at 0862117980.RE-CYCLING OF CANS AND GLASS IN RAPHOEDonegal County Council wish to inform members of the public that the glass and can recycling facilities in Raphoe have been relocated to Raphoe Hardware, Lifford Road, Raphoe Opening Hours: Monday – Saturday 8.30am – 5.30pm.The Bring banks are now located in the Raphoe Hardware car park near to the entrance of the shop. Thank You.RAPHOE FRIDAY SENIORS CLUB:Raphoe Friday Seniors Club meets every Friday in the Volt House Hall from 10.30am until 1pm. Come along and enjoy the tea and craic. New members welcome. For further information please call the Volt House on 9173966 or just call in any Friday. You will be very welcome.Community News or Items of Interest for the “Raphoe People” may be emailed to Harriet at volthouse@eircom.net or to Lisa at raphoetidy@eircom.net Thank You.Please note that all notes should be placed in the box provided in Raphoe Post Office by a Thursday before 4.00 p.m. or alternatively can be dropped into Raphoe Family Resource Centre or e-mailed to raphoefrc@eircom.net every Thursday to meet the print deadline.LOCAL NEWS: RAPHOE COMMUNITY NOTES was last modified: August 24th, 2012 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:Raphoe Community noteslast_img read more